Besides the carved dragon issue, there is one other additional complication, and it's that my children are extremely allergic to artificial dyes. They get crazy, like climbing-on-the-walls-monkeys-on-crack crazy, so I would rather stab myself in the eye than give it to them. Because of this, I wanted to make the cake using something with nice color and flavor, but that they wouldn't need to "peel off" the cake to eat. I decided to give modeling chocolate a try - I had a book after all! I opted for a dark brown body, so I could use dark chocolate and no dyes, and the details I made using white chocolate tinted with vegetable-based dyes. Veggie-dyes are not as strong as artificial ones, and fade faster, but my kids can eat them without going nuts.
To make the dragon, at at request of the birthday boy, I made a 10 inches vanilla cake and a 9 inches chocolate cake. I filled both with cream cheese chocolate mousse, and then I cut them, glued them (with additional mousse), shaped them, and carved them until I got more or less a dragon shape. I have to admit that it looked anything like a dragon at that point! I crumb coated all of it and stuck it in the fridge, praying for a miracle...
A couple of hours later, I started cutting dragon scales one by one using my rose petal cutter. It took FOREVER, but I did it! I glued them one by one to the tail, body, head, and legs, and then I added eyes, and other details made out of white modeling chocolate tinted yellowish-green. I also added some "fire" at the request of birthday boy - that one I made by tinting white modeling chocolate red and yellow, also with veggie dyes.
I moved the heaviest cake on Earth (almost) to a cake board already covered with green fondant, and I added additional details such as "grass" (tinted coconut), flowers, and letters. It got a big grin, a "wow!!" and thumbs up from the birthday boy, so that's what really matters. Even if I needed a trip to the chiro after all the scale cutting and gluing ;)
That was the cake we brought to his school during his birthday week to celebrate with his classmates and teachers. I hope you enjoy reading the story!
***Public Service Announcement***
If
you haven't done it yet, don't forget to enter my first sweepstakes!
I'm giving away a sampler box of my goodies :). To enter just follow
these simple steps: leave me a comment in any post, and follow the instructions in the widget below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
To use the widget, click in +1 (don't forget to leave your comment or the entry will not be valid!), and then click on +2 to get two extra entries for liking my Facebook page. If you already liked my Facebook page, then just fill out your info in the window and you'll get your two extra entries... if you still haven't liked my page, what are you waiting for? ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment